• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Reaction score
Hey guys. So I was hoping to take A level exams for Physics and Mathematics(Basic)? Is that possible to privately register for that exam? Also, can somebody explain it to me how many papers would I be appearing. I cant seem to understand the pattern for that. I checked out some past papers and they were like 12, 22 ,33 . I am unable to understand. I am new to this and I would appreciate if somebody could help me with it. Is it necessary to appear for as? Or can I take the exams directly?
Thank you

Reaction score
It is compulsory to appear in three subjects whatever they may be.
And if you see physics
12 is MCQs paper
22 is theory paper
33 is practical paper
42 is extended theory paper of 100 marks
52 is Planning, Analysis and Evaluation
all these variants are necessary to give
although you can give 12,22,33 in first year (AS level) and 42,52 in next year same applies to other subjects, or you can give all the components together. It depends on your ability.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thank you for your response. Im assuming the same pattern applies to chemistry as well. What about basic mathematics? i saw some variants as S1, M1. Can you guide me about that as well.
TIA

Reaction score
Yes same pattern applies to chemistry, As for maths
Pure mathematics 1
Pure mathematics 2
statistics 1 and mechanics 1 etc.
You can see the criteria of which components are to be given together at the start of A-level maths syllabus.

Reaction score
Yes same pattern applies to chemistry, As for maths
Pure mathematics 1
Pure mathematics 2
statistics 1 and mechanics 1 etc.
You can see the criteria of which components are to be given together at the start of A-level maths syllabus.
If I am appearing for cie. Which subjects do I need to choose in order to pursue engineering in future? I was told about math, chemistry and physics. The pattern for physics and chemistry is clear but mathematics is still unclear. Is Pure Mathematics 1, 2 same as choosing basic mathematics? Or is it compulsory to choose statistics and mechanics as well? Thank you so much for your help

Reaction score
In order to pursue engineering you need maths,physics and chemistry.
Like when you opt for physics it is compulsory to give all the components likewise for maths it also necessary to give mechanic and statistics paper.
In most schools of pakistan
Pure mathematics 1 & 3
Mechanics 1
Statistics ( Paper 6 )
are given and yes this is the basic mathematics.

Reaction score
Either you can give all the four components in the same year or in sets as mentioned in the picture above. Two components in one and the remaining two components in the last year.