• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Salt/Qualitative Analysis for P3 Chemistry

Reaction score
I just feel wrong asking about what will come. My conscience can't handle it

Btw Rizwan Javed could I please have some tips for that last section in Physics Paper 3? The one where they ask for limitations and stuff?

Reaction score
Should we always expect SO2 to be given off, if we are adding concentrated sulfuric acid?
And how can we quickly identify a gas? I mean I realize a gas is given off after it is given off, so should I test for it by doing the same thing again?

Reaction score
Should we always expect SO2 to be given off, if we are adding concentrated sulfuric acid?
And how can we quickly identify a gas? I mean I realize a gas is given off after it is given off, so should I test for it by doing the same thing again?
I don't think so you need to test for the gas. The gases which we encounter in our practicals have characteristic colours or smells. So if you know about this, you'll need not to test for them everytime.
Like CO2, when it evolves, there's too much fizzing like that in a cold drink. Similarly, SO2 has a very disgusting smell :sick:. NO2 has a brown color and if you place your thumb onto the test-tube, the test tube will turn brown! Whenever you are dealing with H2O2, and you add KMnO4, you can expect O2 to evolve. And so. Infact, you don't need to test for every gas. But if you have time, you can test that too for counter checking your results.

Btw Rizwan Javed could I please have some tips for that last section in Physics Paper 3? The one where they ask for limitations and stuff?
The second question contains a practical where there are so many errors you are bound to face. So while doing the practical, keep thinking about what sort of error/difficult you are facing like in experiments where you are to calculate the max height of the ball after the bounce, it is very difficult to note when the ball reaches it's max height. Side by side also think of the improvements you can bring to the experiment.

Through out this question you should think “Why I am feeling that this is difficult? Why is problem with this experiment? How can I modify it to take better readings?” this critical thinking is very important to do the last part of this question but the observations are made while doing experiment and setting apparatus. The rest depends upon your practice.

Download the practical notes from this website: http://znotes.org/as-physics/
These notes contain some oft-repeated errors and their improvements. These might help you.

Reaction score
I don't think so you need to test for the gas. The gases which we encounter in our practicals have characteristic colours or smells. So if you know about this, you'll need not to test for them everytime.
Like CO2, when it evolves, there's too much fizzing like that in a cold drink. Similarly, SO2 has a very disgusting smell :sick:. NO2 has a brown color and if you place your thumb onto the test-tube, the test tube will turn brown! Whenever you are dealing with H2O2, and you add KMnO4, you can expect O2 to evolve. And so. Infact, you don't need to test for every gas. But if you have time, you can test that too for counter checking your results.

The second question contains a practical where there are so many errors you are bound to face. So while doing the practical, keep thinking about what sort of error/difficult you are facing like in experiments where you are to calculate the max height of the ball after the bounce, it is very difficult to note when the ball reaches it's max height. Side by side also think of the improvements you can bring to the experiment.

Through out this question you should think “Why I am feeling that this is difficult? Why is problem with this experiment? How can I modify it to take better readings?” this critical thinking is very important to do the last part of this question but the observations are made while doing experiment and setting apparatus. The rest depends upon your practice.

Download the practical notes from this website: http://znotes.org/as-physics/
These notes contain some oft-repeated errors and their improvements. These might help you.
Thank you!

Reaction score
I am taking chemistry practical 32
They will give you Magnesium ribbon and HCl you will react them together, find the volume of H2 evolved using that apparatus and then neutralise the HCl that didnt react with NaOH. To find the number if moles you will use stoichiometry.

Reaction score
Hi, I'm gonna be appearing for my AS chemistry practical tomorrow and I wanna ask if there's anything we need to actually memorize for the practical. There's a data sheet given for the observations and all. What other things do we ought to have memorized for the exam? Any help would be great thanks !

Reaction score
Hi, I'm gonna be appearing for my AS chemistry practical tomorrow and I wanna ask if there's anything we need to actually memorize for the practical. There's a data sheet given for the observations and all. What other things do we ought to have memorized for the exam? Any help would be great thanks !
Read the chapter practical skills from the chemistry text book last edition (second edition) Go through mark schemes and examiner reports so that you get aware of people's common mistakes!