• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

BAN MUSIC CAMPAIGN - For Muslim brothers and sisters

Status
Not open for further replies.

badrobot14

XPRS Administrator
Reaction score
Who can answer this? Bad robot?

:)

I am not rejecting the fact, that Music is not Haram. I am just pointing out my confusions about this topic.

If it was such a major sin, why is it not mentioned clearly in the Quran.
If it was such a major sin, why is their only ONE Hadith of the Holy Prophet(pbuh) that gives an indication to ''Musical Instruments''.
If it was a major sin, why didn't the Holy Prophet(pbuh) clearly prohibit it, like he prohibited Fornication, Adultery.
If it was such a major sin, why did the Holy Prophet(pbuh) allow singing during Eid and many other occasions such as when he arrived in Madinah for first time.
If it was such a major sin, why did the Holy Prophet(pbuh) on seeing the Daff being played, allow it. (Surely if other musical instruments like Piano had been invented at that time, was there a reason not to allow them too?)
If it was such a major sin, why did Allah allow H.Daud(A.S) to use Music.

Since Musical Instruments such as Piano were not invented at that time. Only Daff was there. If the Holy Prophet(pbuh) allowed Daff, i don't see why Piano would have NOT been allowed too. If Music is used in a moral way to achieve a peaceful state of Mind, i don't see any harm in it.

The Only Hadith we have regarding this is: "From among my followers there will be some people who will consider illegal sexual intercourse, the wearing of silk, the drinking of alcoholic drinks and the use of musical instruments, as lawful.”
On One Place the Holy Prophet(pbuh) declares ''Daff'' as lawful, there are written records of Him allowing its use. And on another occasion he prevents the use of the musical instruments in the above Hadith. So we can deduce from that, certain Musical Instruments are Haram.. which people among his followers would consider as ''lawful''.. Now how are we supposed to know which musical instrument is Lawful.. and which one is Haram? The Holy Prophet(pbuh) did not clearly mention in any Hadith which musical instruments are Haram and which are not. Looking at that specific event of his life when he allowed ''Daff''.. the Scholars have declared EVERY SINGLE instrument except for ''Daff'' as Haram. The Purpose of a musical instrument is to use them on joyous occasions on weddings, Eid. I don't understand why that is so Unlawful!
There is no event in the Life of the Holy Prophet(pbuh) when he saw a musical instrument being used and he stopped it. But when he encountered someone playing the ''Daff''.. he allowed its use. How can scholars just declare the entire ''MUSIC'' as haram, just by using that one instance of the Prophet's (pbuh) life when he allowed Daff. How can the Scholars declare every single musical instrument on this earth as ''Haram''.. except for ''Daff''.

Every Thing Declared as Haram in Islam, is declared that because it causes harm. For example ''Alcohol'' is haram because it harms the body.
As long as ''Music'' does not move us away from Islam, Worship of Allah and Morals.. and it is used in a good way to achieve a peaceful state of mind, there is not haram in it. That is my opinion.

1. no one said its a MAJOR sin.. but coz it is a sin.. we do need to stay away from it...

second part.. I don't have energy to argue.. besides, this isn't your major problem.... this should be the least of your concerns.... considering you said this:

Every Thing Declared as Haram in Islam, is declared that because it causes harm. For example ''Alcohol'' is haram because it harms the body.
As long as ''Music'' does not move us away from Islam, Worship of Allah and Morals.. and it is used in a good way to achieve a peaceful state of mind, there is not haram in it. That is my opinion

This is a major issue in your understanding of your deen... so you need to fix it by attaining knowledge.. please this ramadan make a schedule of reading some part of Quran n trying to read its meaning.. and if possible tafseer too...

but I'd like to tell you that everything declared as Haram in Islam, is NOT declared that because it causes harm... its haram coz Allah s.w.t said so.. end of story... Islam is submiting to Allah s.w.t... yes what is haram, harms us.. so is bad.. but the priamary reason a muslim avoids haram is not coz its bad.. but coz its prohibited by Allah s.w.t....
One of the centeral themes of Islam is obedience to Allah s.w.t.. since He is the most wise, most merciful... to make you understand this.. I'd like to put forward a beautiful aayah of Quran:
"And if We had decreed upon them, "Kill yourselves" or "Leave your homes," they would not have done it, except for a few of them. But if they had done what they were instructed, it would have been better for them and a firmer position [for them in faith]." (4:66)
Notice what He s.W.T said... had He told ppl to kill themselves.. something completely illogical... or to leave their homes despite having one.. again illogical to us.. it wd certainly have been better for them..! why..? coz they wd b obeying Allah s.w.t...!
Same way Ibrahim A.S is given instructions by Allah s.w.t to leave his family in middle of the desert.. he doesn't ask, Allah s.w.t give me logical explaination why do I leave them erc.. what is the harm in not leaving them etc.. no.. coz he understands.. a muslim submits to what Allah s.w.t orders.... no questions asked... yes we understand the ahkaam.. but law is law...

plz see this:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4KwYEPJqJnMbUF6QWZiS0lISVE/edit?usp=sharing

Reaction score
:)

1. no one said its a MAJOR sin.. but coz it is a sin.. we do need to stay away from it...

second part.. I don't have energy to argue.. besides, this isn't your major problem.... this should be the least of your concerns.... considering you said this:

This is a major issue in your understanding of your deen... so you need to fix it by attaining knowledge.. please this ramadan make a schedule of reading some part of Quran n trying to read its meaning.. and if possible tafseer too...

but I'd like to tell you that everything declared as Haram in Islam, is NOT declared that because it causes harm... its haram coz Allah s.w.t said so.. end of story... Islam is submiting to Allah s.w.t... yes what is haram, harms us.. so is bad.. but the priamary reason a muslim avoids haram is not coz its bad.. but coz its prohibited by Allah s.w.t....
One of the centeral themes of Islam is obedience to Allah s.w.t.. since He is the most wise, most merciful... to make you understand this.. I'd like to put forward a beautiful aayah of Quran:
"And if We had decreed upon them, "Kill yourselves" or "Leave your homes," they would not have done it, except for a few of them. But if they had done what they were instructed, it would have been better for them and a firmer position [for them in faith]." (4:66)
Notice what He s.W.T said... had He told ppl to kill themselves.. something completely illogical... or to leave their homes despite having one.. again illogical to us.. it wd certainly have been better for them..! why..? coz they wd b obeying Allah s.w.t...!
Same way Ibrahim A.S is given instructions by Allah s.w.t to leave his family in middle of the desert.. he doesn't ask, Allah s.w.t give me logical explaination why do I leave them erc.. what is the harm in not leaving them etc.. no.. coz he understands.. a muslim submits to what Allah s.w.t orders.... no questions asked... yes we understand the ahkaam.. but law is law...

plz see this:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4KwYEPJqJnMbUF6QWZiS0lISVE/edit?usp=sharing

bhai there is this mafhoom of hadith... have u heard it? that music creates hypocrisy in heart? can u confirm it?

Reaction score
I am not rejecting the fact, that Music is not Haram. I am just pointing out my confusions about this topic.

If it was such a major sin, why is it not mentioned clearly in the Quran.
If it was such a major sin, why is their only ONE Hadith of the Holy Prophet(pbuh) that gives an indication to ''Musical Instruments''.
If it was a major sin, why didn't the Holy Prophet(pbuh) clearly prohibit it, like he prohibited Fornication, Adultery.
If it was such a major sin, why did the Holy Prophet(pbuh) allow singing during Eid and many other occasions such as when he arrived in Madinah for first time.
If it was such a major sin, why did the Holy Prophet(pbuh) on seeing the Daff being played, allow it. (Surely if other musical instruments like Piano had been invented at that time, was there a reason not to allow them too?)
If it was such a major sin, why did Allah allow H.Daud(A.S) to use Music.

Since Musical Instruments such as Piano were not invented at that time. Only Daff was there. If the Holy Prophet(pbuh) allowed Daff, i don't see why Piano would have NOT been allowed too. If Music is used in a moral way to achieve a peaceful state of Mind, i don't see any harm in it.

The Only Hadith we have regarding this is: "From among my followers there will be some people who will consider illegal sexual intercourse, the wearing of silk, the drinking of alcoholic drinks and the use of musical instruments, as lawful.”
On One Place the Holy Prophet(pbuh) declares ''Daff'' as lawful, there are written records of Him allowing its use. And on another occasion he prevents the use of the musical instruments in the above Hadith. So we can deduce from that, certain Musical Instruments are Haram.. which people among his followers would consider as ''lawful''.. Now how are we supposed to know which musical instrument is Lawful.. and which one is Haram? The Holy Prophet(pbuh) did not clearly mention in any Hadith which musical instruments are Haram and which are not. Looking at that specific event of his life when he allowed ''Daff''.. the Scholars have declared EVERY SINGLE instrument except for ''Daff'' as Haram. The Purpose of a musical instrument is to use them on joyous occasions on weddings, Eid. I don't understand why that is so Unlawful!
There is no event in the Life of the Holy Prophet(pbuh) when he saw a musical instrument being used and he stopped it. But when he encountered someone playing the ''Daff''.. he allowed its use. How can scholars just declare the entire ''MUSIC'' as haram, just by using that one instance of the Prophet's (pbuh) life when he allowed Daff. How can the Scholars declare every single musical instrument on this earth as ''Haram''.. except for ''Daff''.

As long as ''Music'' does not move us away from Islam, Worship of Allah and Morals.. and it is used in a good way to achieve a peaceful state of mind, there is not haram in it. That is my opinion.

You say that music doesn't cause any harm. How many of the songs you listen do not contain words that are not supposed to be heard by the Muslims? Certainly, very few. You can say that what if I listen to songs that do not contain any bad lyrics? The answer for that is that Islam is religion that doesn't just stop you from doing bad but also deals with the root cause of that bad. If you don't listen to music at all, you would never have to listen to those words. That is why, it is Haraam for us as it might not be harming us itself but might be originating stuff that harms our minds and soul. :)

Reaction score
You say that music doesn't cause any harm. How many of the songs you listen do not contain words that are not supposed to be heard by the Muslims? Certainly, very few. You can say that what if I listen to songs that do not contain any bad lyrics? The answer for that is that Islam is religion that doesn't just stop you from doing bad but also deals with the root cause of that bad. If you don't listen to music at all, you would never have to listen to those words. That is why, it is Haraam for us as it might not be harming us itself but might be originating stuff that harms our minds and soul. :)
Hmmm realy? So riding a bike is haram coz it is root of accidents and it kill people and suicide is haram.
Doesn't it sound foolish? Same way ur argument did.

Reaction score
Hmmm realy? So riding a bike is haram coz it is root of accidents and it kill people and suicide is haram.
Doesn't it sound foolish? Same way ur argument did.

Reaction score

So Music is Haram due to the ''Bad Lyrics''..
According to that, Music with Good and meaningful lyrics is Good. I know a million songs with ''Good Lyrics''..
Is ''Twinkle Twinkle Little Star - Nursery Rhyme'' Haram too? It has musical instruments playing in the background with SINGING.
And Music with ''Bad Lyrics''.. what if someone just enjoys the rhythm of the song and uses it as a source of relaxation and does not pay attention to the ''Bad Lyrics''.. and doesn't get influenced from them and continues to Practice Islam and Fulfill all obligations.
If someone uses those ''Bad Lyrics'' for bad purposes and they lead them away from the path of Islam, then it might be considered bad for a Muslim.. as it hinder's one's true purpose in this life. But if one has control.. and continues to Practice Islam and listen to ''Good Music''.. ''Relaxing Music''.. I don't see why it would hinder one's Islamic Life. So it depends on the way someone uses Music. It can be used in a Good way and in a bad way too.

Islam is NOT a SUPER STRICT religion. It is moderate. The Holy Prophet (pbuh) liked moderation.
Allah made Humans as the best of His Creations.
Islam does not tell us to read the Holy Quran 24/7. Or pray the entire day and night!
Allah has given us opportunities for rest and relaxation.
Every Movie these days has Music in it. It is like a part of life in the present world we live in.
The Holy Prophet (pbuh) allowed Muslims to sing and play the ''Daff'' on Eid and many other occasions. There is like a list of events in his life when he himself allowed SINGING. This confirms the Holy Prophet's (pbuh) support for Music as a source of relaxation and to be used on joyous occasions. And My point back there, Allah allowed H.Daud(R.A) to use Music. Not all songs are BAD! Only those that have a reference to illegal things like Drugs etc.. are Haram, only if one takes influence from them. And Starts to practice the stuff in those songs. That Barely happens! Coupled with the fact that no clear indication of ''Music'' being Haram is present in the Quran - The Ultimate Source of Guidance. Don't you think if it was such a major unlawful thing, Allah would have mentioned it in the Quran? An Absence of a clear verdict banning music CLEARLY indicates it is not COMPLETELY Haraam. But the Muslim Scholars of Today are too religiously stubborn that they tell Muslims to BOYCOTT ALL TYPES OF MUSIC, EVERY SINGLE INSTRUMENT, EVERY SINGLE SONG.

Reaction score
Anyway, if music was a major sin, why is it not mentioned in the Quran? Why did Hazrat Muhammad(PBUH) allow the girls, during eid, to continue singing and allow the daff?

Reaction score
Anyway, if music was a major sin, why is it not mentioned in the Quran? Why did Hazrat Muhammad(PBUH) allow the girls, during eid, to continue singing and allow the daff?

Al-Tirmidhi Hadith 3153 Narrated by Muhammad ibn Hatib al-Jumahi
The Prophet (saws) said, "The distinction between what is lawful and what is unlawful is the song and the (music of the) tambourine at a wedding."

The music which is halaal on Eid days, is the same lawful music which is also halaal on other days of joy and celebrations like marriage, etc.

There is enough room for lawful and legal forms of entertainment and amusement in the deen of Islam, provided the clearly defined boundaries of Allah Subhanah are not violated. If one wills to play or listen to lawful and pure music on days or occasions of joy and celebration like Eid, marriage, etc., there is absolutely no harm.

Al-Tirmidhi Hadith 3654 Narrated by Abu Umamah
The Prophet (saws) said, "Allah has sent me as a Mercy to the universe and as a guidance to the universe, and my Lord, Who is Great and Glorious, has commanded me to annihilate stringed instruments, wind instruments, idols, crosses and pre-Islamic customs. My Lord, Who is Great and Glorious has sworn, 'By My might, none of My servants will drink a mouthful of wine without My giving him a similar amount of pus to drink, but he will not abandon it through fear of Me without My giving him drink from the holy tanks.'"

What Islam absolutely prohibits and discourages is the playing or listening of unlawful string or wind instruments of music, or music which accentuates the free-mixing of sexes, or encourages ‘fahesha’ or indecency, etc.

The two small ansari girls were singing lawfully worded songs of the stories of the Day of Buath and playing the ‘daff’ or tambourine like musical instrument on the Day of Eid in the Presence of Allah’s Messenger, and the Prophet of Allah (saws) allowed such and other forms of lawful entertainment like (lawful) folk dancing or sport or on days of joyous occasions.

Sahih Al-Bukhari Hadith 2.70 Narrated by Aisha
Allah's Messenger (saws) came to my house while two small girls were singing beside me the songs of Buath (a story about the war between the two tribes of the Ansar, the Khazraj and the Aus, before Islam). The Prophet (saws) lay down and turned his face to the other side. Then Abu Bakr came and spoke to me harshly saying, "Musical instruments of the Shaytaan near the Prophet (saws)?" Allah's Messenger (saws) turned his face towards him and said, "Leave them." When Abu Bakr became inattentive, I signaled to those girls to go out and they left. It was the day of 'Id, and the black people were playing with shields and spears; so either I requested the Prophet (saws) or he asked me whether I would like to see the display. I replied in the affirmative. Then the Prophet (saws) made me stand behind him and my cheek was touching his cheek and he was saying, "Carry on! O Bani Arfida," till I got tired. The Prophet (saws) asked me, "Are you satisfied (Is that sufficient for you)?" I replied in the affirmative and he (saws) told me to leave.

Whatever written of Truth and benefit is only due to Allah’s Assistance and Guidance, and whatever of error is of me alone. Allah Alone Knows Best and He is the Only Source of Strength.
http://www.islamhelpline.net/node/4041

Reaction score
So Music is Haram due to the ''Bad Lyrics''..
According to that, Music with Good and meaningful lyrics is Good. I know a million songs with ''Good Lyrics''..
Is ''Twinkle Twinkle Little Star - Nursery Rhyme'' Haram too? It has musical instruments playing in the background with SINGING.
And Music with ''Bad Lyrics''.. what if someone just enjoys the rhythm of the song and uses it as a source of relaxation and does not pay attention to the ''Bad Lyrics''.. and doesn't get influenced from them and continues to Practice Islam and Fulfill all obligations.
If someone uses those ''Bad Lyrics'' for bad purposes and they lead them away from the path of Islam, then it might be considered bad for a Muslim.. as it hinder's one's true purpose in this life. But if one has control.. and continues to Practice Islam and listen to ''Good Music''.. ''Relaxing Music''.. I don't see why it would hinder one's Islamic Life. So it depends on the way someone uses Music. It can be used in a Good way and in a bad way too.

Islam is NOT a SUPER STRICT religion. It is moderate. The Holy Prophet (pbuh) liked moderation.
Allah made Humans as the best of His Creations.
Islam does not tell us to read the Holy Quran 24/7. Or pray the entire day and night!
Allah has given us opportunities for rest and relaxation.
Every Movie these days has Music in it. It is like a part of life in the present world we live in.
The Holy Prophet (pbuh) allowed Muslims to sing and play the ''Daff'' on Eid and many other occasions. There is like a list of events in his life when he himself allowed SINGING. This confirms the Holy Prophet's (pbuh) support for Music as a source of relaxation and to be used on joyous occasions. And My point back there, Allah allowed H.Daud(R.A) to use Music. Not all songs are BAD! Only those that have a reference to illegal things like Drugs etc.. are Haram, only if one takes influence from them. And Starts to practice the stuff in those songs. That Barely happens! Coupled with the fact that no clear indication of ''Music'' being Haram is present in the Quran - The Ultimate Source of Guidance. Don't you think if it was such a major unlawful thing, Allah would have mentioned it in the Quran? An Absence of a clear verdict banning music CLEARLY indicates it is not COMPLETELY Haraam. But the Muslim Scholars of Today are too religiously stubborn that they tell Muslims to BOYCOTT ALL TYPES OF MUSIC, EVERY SINGLE INSTRUMENT, EVERY SINGLE SONG.

All you mentioned were 'IFs'! How many do you see following those 'IFs'? As I mentioned before, Islam deals with the root cause, not the consequences.

Reaction score
Al-Tirmidhi Hadith 3153 Narrated by Muhammad ibn Hatib al-Jumahi
The Prophet (saws) said, "The distinction between what is lawful and what is unlawful is the song and the (music of the) tambourine at a wedding."

The music which is halaal on Eid days, is the same lawful music which is also halaal on other days of joy and celebrations like marriage, etc.

There is enough room for lawful and legal forms of entertainment and amusement in the deen of Islam, provided the clearly defined boundaries of Allah Subhanah are not violated. If one wills to play or listen to lawful and pure music on days or occasions of joy and celebration like Eid, marriage, etc., there is absolutely no harm.

Al-Tirmidhi Hadith 3654 Narrated by Abu Umamah
The Prophet (saws) said, "Allah has sent me as a Mercy to the universe and as a guidance to the universe, and my Lord, Who is Great and Glorious, has commanded me to annihilate stringed instruments, wind instruments, idols, crosses and pre-Islamic customs. My Lord, Who is Great and Glorious has sworn, 'By My might, none of My servants will drink a mouthful of wine without My giving him a similar amount of pus to drink, but he will not abandon it through fear of Me without My giving him drink from the holy tanks.'"

What Islam absolutely prohibits and discourages is the playing or listening of unlawful string or wind instruments of music, or music which accentuates the free-mixing of sexes, or encourages ‘fahesha’ or indecency, etc.

The two small ansari girls were singing lawfully worded songs of the stories of the Day of Buath and playing the ‘daff’ or tambourine like musical instrument on the Day of Eid in the Presence of Allah’s Messenger, and the Prophet of Allah (saws) allowed such and other forms of lawful entertainment like (lawful) folk dancing or sport or on days of joyous occasions.

Sahih Al-Bukhari Hadith 2.70 Narrated by Aisha
Allah's Messenger (saws) came to my house while two small girls were singing beside me the songs of Buath (a story about the war between the two tribes of the Ansar, the Khazraj and the Aus, before Islam). The Prophet (saws) lay down and turned his face to the other side. Then Abu Bakr came and spoke to me harshly saying, "Musical instruments of the Shaytaan near the Prophet (saws)?" Allah's Messenger (saws) turned his face towards him and said, "Leave them." When Abu Bakr became inattentive, I signaled to those girls to go out and they left. It was the day of 'Id, and the black people were playing with shields and spears; so either I requested the Prophet (saws) or he asked me whether I would like to see the display. I replied in the affirmative. Then the Prophet (saws) made me stand behind him and my cheek was touching his cheek and he was saying, "Carry on! O Bani Arfida," till I got tired. The Prophet (saws) asked me, "Are you satisfied (Is that sufficient for you)?" I replied in the affirmative and he (saws) told me to leave.

Whatever written of Truth and benefit is only due to Allah’s Assistance and Guidance, and whatever of error is of me alone. Allah Alone Knows Best and He is the Only Source of Strength.
http://www.islamhelpline.net/node/4041
Then what is your opinion of the following soundtracks being haram:

Attachments

• Sb1UKMkS4QDh.128.mp3
    3.5 MB · Views: 2
  • 18 Tenuous Winners _ Returning Home.mp3
    7.9 MB · Views: 3

badrobot14

XPRS Administrator
Reaction score
1048073_371815242940556_1051402822_o.jpg
:D

Reaction score
I have been going through the arguments in this thread for a while and here I have tried my best to reply to the major arguments/ doubts raised.

Doubt 1: If it was such a major sin, why is it not mentioned clearly in the Quran.

Answer:
First and foremost it is very important to know the basics of Islamic legislation before we make such statements.
Brother, you clearly misunderstand the status of the Sunnah in Islamic legislation.
The Quran and Sunnah both are primary sources of Islamic law.
Both are revelation and both have a similar status when determining Islamic law.
“And he does not speak of his own desires.; indeed, what he says is revelation.” (53: 3-4)
Therefore the Sunnah (Hadith) represents a personal source of divine guidance which Allah granted His Prophet which was similar in nature to the Quran itself. The Prophet reiterated this point in one of his recorded statements: << Indeed I have been given the Quran and something similar to it along with it.>>
True that the Sunnah is the exposition, the explanation of the Quran, but it is an independant source of law by itself with the Quran. It addresses the details of the general laws mentioned in the Quran, the methodologies, reasons, requirements and location, or it may explain the inclusions which could not be logically deduced.
Allah says:
Those who follow the Messenger, the unlettered prophet, whom they find written in what they have of the Torah and the Gospel, who enjoins upon them what is right and forbids them what is wrong and makes lawful for them the good things and prohibits for them the evil and relieves them of their burden and the shackles which were upon them. So they who have believed in him, honored him, supported him and followed the light which was sent down with him - it is those who will be the successful. (7:157)
Whatever the Messenger gives you, take it; and whatever he forbid you from, refrain from it. (59:7)
So in conclusion, the thing is that the Messenger of Allah had the authority to legalize and make unlawful by Allah’s leave.
So there are several examples wherein the Prophet has disallowed things not bearing mention in the Quran: for eg : the prohibition of marriage of an aunt and a niece at the same time by the same man. And so forth.
So when the Prophet said this:
It was narrated from Abu Musa al-Ash’ari (may Allaah be pleased with him) that he heard the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) say: “In my ummah there will be people who allow silk, zina, wine and musical instruments.”
Narrated by al-Bukhaari in a mu’allaq report (5590); classed as mawsool by al-Tabaraani and al-Bayhaqi; see al-Silsilat al-Saheehah by al-Albaani (91),
It is our duty to obey him, as commanded by Allah in several places in the Quran.
“Whoever obeys the Messenger, has indeed obeyed Allah.....” (4:80)
And who says that the Quran has no reference to the prohibition of music at all. The Quran also does contain few verses that are generalized and need explanation. And who better to refer to than the Prophet himself and his students, the Sahabah.
“And of mankind is he who purchases idle talks (i.e. music, singing) to mislead (men) from the path of Allaah without knowledge, and takes it (the path of Allaah, or the Verses of the Qur’aan) by way of mockery. For such there will be a humiliating torment (in the Hell‑fire)”
[Luqmaan 31:6]
The majority of mufassireen say that what is meant by Lahwa al-hadeeth (“idle talks”) in this verse is singing. Another group says that it is every sound of entertainment, which includes flutes, stringed instruments and so on. All of these mislead men from the path of Allaah and cause misguidance. It is proven that Ibn Mas’ood (may Allaah be pleased with him), the great Sahaabi who was one of the scholars of the Sahaabah (may Allaah be pleased with them) said, commenting on this verse: “By Allaah, this refers to singing.” And he said: “It causes hypocrisy to grow in the heart as water causes herbs to grow.”
The scholar of the ummah, Ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: this means singing. Mujaahid (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: this means playing the drum (tabl). (Tafseer al-Tabari, 21/40).
Al-Hasan al-Basri (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: this aayah was revealed concerning singing and musical instruments (lit. woodwind instruments). (Tafseer Ibn Katheer, 3/451).
Al-Sa’di (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: this includes all manner of haraam speech, all idle talk and falsehood, and all nonsense that encourages kufr and disobedience; the words of those who say things to refute the truth and argue in support of falsehood to defeat the truth; and backbiting, slander, lies, insults and curses; the singing and musical instruments of the Shaytaan; and musical instruments which are of no spiritual or worldly benefit. (Tafseer al-Sa’di, 6/150)
Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: The interpretation of the Sahaabah and Taabi’in, that ‘idle talk’ refers to singing, is sufficient. This was reported with saheeh isnaads from Ibn ‘Abbaas and Ibn Mas’ood. Abu’l-Sahbaa’ said: I asked Ibn Mas’ood about the aayah (interpretation of the meaning), ‘“And of mankind is he who purchases idle talks’ [Luqmaan 31:6]. He said: By Allaah, besides Whom there is no other god, this means singing – and he repeated it three times. It was also reported with a saheeh isnaad from Ibn ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with them both) that this means singing. There is no contradiction between the interpretation of “idle talk” as meaning singing and the interpretation of it as meaning stories of the Persians and their kings, and the kings of the Romans, and so on, such as al-Nadr ibn al-Haarith used to tell to the people of Makkah to distract them from the Qur’aan. Both of them are idle talk. Hence Ibn ‘Abbaas said: “Idle talk” is falsehood and singing. Some of the Sahaabah said one and some said the other, and some said both. Singing is worse and more harmful than stories of kings, because it leads to zinaa and makes hypocrisy grow (in the heart); it is the trap of the Shaytaan, and it clouds the mind. The way in which it blocks people from the Qur’aan is worse than the way in which other kinds of false talk block them, because people are naturally inclined towards it and tend to want to listen to it. The aayaat condemn replacing the Qur’aan with idle talk in order to mislead (men) from the path of Allaah without knowledge and taking it as a joke, because when an aayah of the Qur’aan is recited to such a person, he turns his back as if he heard them not, as if there were deafness in his ear. If he hears anything of it, he makes fun of it. All of this happens only in the case of the people who are most stubbornly kaafirs and if some of it happens to singers and those who listen to them, they both have a share of this blame. (Ighaathat al-Lahfaan, 1/258-259).
Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“[Allaah said to Iblees:] And befool them gradually those whom you can among them with your voice (i.e. songs, music, and any other call for Allaah’s disobedience)…” [al-Israa’ 17:64]
It was narrated that Mujaahid (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: “And befool them gradually those whom you can among them with your voice” – his voice [the voice of Iblees/Shaytaan] is singing and falsehood. Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: This idaafah [possessive or genitive construction, i.e., your voice] serves to make the meaning specific, as with the phrases [translated as] “your cavalry” and “your infantry” [later in the same aayah]. Everyone who speaks in any way that is not obedient to Allaah, everyone who blows into a flute or other woodwind instrument, or who plays any haraam kind of drum, this is the voice of the Shaytaan. Everyone who walks to commit some act of disobedience towards Allaah is part of his [the Shaytaan’s] infantry, and anyone who rides to commit sin is part of his cavalry. This is the view of the Salaf, as Ibn ‘Abi Haatim narrated from Ibn ‘Abbaas: his infantry is everyone who walks to disobey Allaah. (Ighaathat al-Lahfaan).
It was reported from Abu Umaamah (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Do not sell singing slave women, do not buy them and do not teach them. There is nothing good in this trade, and their price is haraam. Concerning such things as this the aayah was revealed (interpretation of the meaning): ‘And of mankind is he who purchases idle talks (i.e. music, singing) to mislead (men) from the path of Allaah…’ [Luqmaan 31:6].” (Hasan hadeeth)

So it is hence seen that even the Quran contains prohibition of music.

Reaction score
Second question: If it was such a major sin, why is their only ONE Hadith of the Holy Prophet(pbuh) that gives an indication to ''Musical Instruments''.
This is completely baseless as there are several Ahadith pertaining to the prohibition of music.
It was narrated from Abu Musa al-Ash’ari (may Allaah be pleased with him) that he heard the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) say: “In my ummah there will be people who allow silk, zina, wine and musical instruments.”
Narrated by al-Bukhaari in a mu’allaq report (5590); classed as mawsool by al-Tabaraani and al-Bayhaqi; see al-Silsilat al-Saheehah by al-Albaani (91)

It was narrated that Anas ibn Maalik (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Two sounds are cursed in this world and in the Hereafter: flutes at times of joy and wailing at times of calamity.” Al-Mundhiri said: It was narrated by al-Bazzaar and its narrators are thiqaat (trustworthy); it was classed as hasan by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Targheeb wa’l-Tarheeb (3527).
Abu Dawood (3685) narrated from ‘Abd-Allaah ibn ‘Amr (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Prophet of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade alcohol, gambling and drums. Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Abi Dawood.

For those who argue that the authenticity of those books other than Bukhari and Muslim are prone to doubt, well lets see what Imam Bukhari himself has to say:
“I only wrote in my book, Al Jami what was authentic and I omitted some authentic ahadith to avoid it been too long.”
“And the authentic hadiths which I have omitted are more than I have included (in my book).”
“I memorized 100,000 authentic ahadith and 200,000 inauthentic ahadith.”

Infact majority of the authentic ahadith are found outside of Bukhari and Muslim as both have approx 4000 ahadith each (without counting the ahadith with the same matn but different isnaad).

Reaction score
Doubt 3:
Ans:
Narrated by al-Bukhaari in a mu’allaq report (5590); classed as mawsool by al-Tabaraani and al-Bayhaqi; see al-Silsilat al-Saheehah by al-Albaani (91),
Consideringthis same Hadith, the very fact that the Prophet included music’s prohibition alongside these two evils, indicates the very seriousness of the prohibition.
“This hadeeth indicates in two ways that musical instruments and enjoyment of listening to music are haraam. The first is the fact that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “[they] permit” which clearly indicates that the things mentioned, including musical instruments, are haraam according to sharee’ah, but those people will permit them. The second is the fact that musical instruments are mentioned alongside things which are definitely known to be haraam, i.e., zinaa and alcohol: if they (musical instruments) were not haraam, why would they be mentioned alongside these things?” (Adapted from al-Silsilah al-Saheehah by al-Albaani, 1/140-141)

Also they were a few doubts ealier about the Sunnah not being as accurate as the Quran.
When Allah says :
“Indeed it is We who have sent down the Dhikr and indeed it is We who are going to be it’s guardians” (15:9)

This verse talks not only about the Glorious Quran, but also of the Sunnah. Both will be preserved as we can see today as a promise of Allah.

Status
Not open for further replies.