• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemo P5 tips

Reaction score
guys can anyone just clear me one thing ? if there is a question on solubility and the question asks for plotting a graph for it and says to plot a line of best fit so if i dont plot a curve and instead plot a line of best fit !! will i loose a mark ??
and btw line of best fit doesnt necessarily mean thats a straight line..it cud be a curve too...dont forget that ;)

Reaction score
guys can anyone just clear me one thing ? if there is a question on solubility and the question asks for plotting a graph for it and says to plot a line of best fit so if i dont plot a curve and instead plot a line of best fit !! will i loose a mark ??
depends.... if the points are in a curve shape, u hav to draw a curve of best fit and if the points come in a staright line, then u have to make a staright line of best fit...

Reaction score
some1 explain to me dependent and independent variables ??
independent variable is what u've got on the x-axis i.e. u change it
dependent varaible is what u have on the y-axis, it varies with the independent vaireable

Reaction score
Let's
assume you take your x value as 20cm3, now I believe you would know that to neutralize 20 cm3 of 3moldm-3 NaOH you will need 20cm3 of 3moldm-3 h2so4.
Now calculate no of moles in 20 cm3 of 3moldm-3 H2SO4 , put this value of moles in this eqn 2=(no.of moles) / (volume needed)
The above eqn basically is trying to calculate volume needed when u use 2 moldm-3 conc of h2so4.
We calculated value of moles to know how many are needed to neutralize our choice of volume of solution.
answer then is 30 cm3

Reaction score
Let's
assume you take your x value as 20cm3, now I believe you would know that to neutralize 20 cm3 of 3moldm-3 NaOH you will need 20cm3 of 3moldm-3 h2so4.
Now calculate no of moles in 20 cm3 of 3moldm-3 H2SO4 , put this value of moles in this eqn 2=(no.of moles) / (volume needed)
The above eqn basically is trying to calculate volume needed when u use 2 moldm-3 conc of h2so4.
We calculated value of moles to know how many are needed to neutralize our choice of volume of solution.
answer then is 30 cm3
ehh... at the risk of soundin like a complete idiot, I don't think I got it.

Reaction score
okay, experiments that have showed up so far (I think I'm doing this more for myself than anyone else, considering you're all asleep)

• Hydrochloric acid and magnesium ribbon (investigating rate of reaction of gas produced)
  • Determining the formula of the chloride
  • Determining the enthalpy change of combustion
  • Determining the relative formula mass (decomposing basic carbonate)
  • Thermal decomposition of caesium nitrate
  • Determine the transition temperature (solubility question)
  • Acid-base neutralisation

• Confirming the formula of magnesium oxide is MgO

okay Im tired .. but from what I can see, should have studied A2 syllabus for this -_- .. a lota perioidic trends..

Reaction score
how do you calculate the volume in 1 a?

For 2 mol of NaOH --- 1 mol of H2SO4 has been required (according to the balanced equation given)
For 1 mol of NaOH --- we'd need 0.5 mol of H2SO4.

Since we have the volume and concentration of NaOH, we can find the no. of moles of NaOH in that solution.
n = v * c
= (let) 0.050 * 3
=0.15 moles

Then we 'd need half the no. of moles of H2SO4,i.e 0.075 moles, and we are given the conc. so that makes :
v = n / c
= o.o75 / 2
= 37.5 cm3 of H2SO4

Reaction score
some1 explain to me dependent and independent variables ??
independant variable is what we change in the experiment and is on the X axis. The dependant variable is what is affected when we change the independant variable

Reaction score
How can I calculate the slop of the graphhhh ?? Plz answer my exam is after 12 hours ??

Reaction score
thats easy.....delta y/delta x
cn smone tell me waht moles to divide by when calclating enthaloy change of neutralization

Reaction score
for enthalpy change of neutralisation, divide by the no. of moles of that-which-is-not-in-excess ?