• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Discussion of English Paper 2; 24 hours have passed

Reaction score
I'm so ..ugh..that I wanted to post all the questions here:
1 (a) What was the baby going to have in the morning? (1)
...................................................................................................
(b) Explain fully why the writer describes the baby's requirement as 'pitifully small'? (2)
........................................................................................................................................
........................................................................................................................................
(c) Give two aspects of the writer's behaviour after the nurse told Octavia was well. (2)
(i)....................................................................................................................................
(ii)...................................................................................................................................

2 (a) What are the two things that the writer worried about how Octavia was treated in the hospital? (2)

(i)....................................................................................................................................
(ii)...................................................................................................................................

(b) Why do you THINK these things were trivial before? (1)
...................................................................................................
(c) Explain in your own words, why their life turned back to normal?

3 (a) The baby was said to be in state of 'inactivity'. Give a single word which continues the idea of 'inactivity'? (1)
..................................................................................................
(b) Give two reasons why was it 'imperative for the writer to see her baby?' (2)

4 Explain fully what was the 'silly risk' the senior nurse made. (2)

5 (a) Why were the nurses nervous when they asked the writer? (1)
...................................................................................................................................
(b) The writer said the nurses 'HAD THE WHOLE BUILDING' whereas she only had her 'INTENTION'. Without copying the answers in the passage, explain in your own words what does she mean by this? (2)
(c) How did the senior nurse show that she was annoyed with the writer? (1)
......................................................................................................................

6 Why do think the white surgeon was angry? (1)
7 (1) poignancy (5) vehemence
(2) copiously (6) summoning
(3) preoccupied (7) hardened
(4) appointed (8) tedious

:p

Reaction score
btw i think for the trivial the answer would be: she was concerned about Octavia's life/she just wanted Octavia to live ...she believe the nurses will treat her better (accpetable?)

Reaction score
ok these were my answers:
1 (a) She was going to have an operation
(b) The writer felt sad to see the baby didn't need many requirement for the hospital will provide more necessary requirement
(c) (i) She stood dumbly
(ii) She got round to speaking, asking if she could see her baby.
2 (a) (i) There might be no nurse all time
(ii) She might not be fed properly
(b) She believed the hospital would treat her better
(c) This is because the danger of severity had been removed
3 (a) lethargy
(b) (i) she had endured separation from her baby for a long time
(ii) Octavia's operation might had not been successful
4 The senior nurse gave her the surgeon report in which she should have not let the writer seen it.
5 (a) the nurses thought the writer might had gone mad
(b) the nurses had the patients in possessions to take care with whereas the writer only wanted her baby with her
(c) She put her arms on her shoulders and exerted great pressure
6 The senior nurse forced the writer to leave the hospital

/20 ?

Reaction score
Oh I think I might have wrote something else :p
and what bout the silly risk? I wrote about the nurse showing her the report but that question was of 2 marks so it probably required another reason too...
for silly risk i wrote that nurse showed her the report which was a silly thing because she put herself in danger because it is not allowed to show surgeon's report to patients and therfore she might get punished if it comes into his knowledge. Am I right ? otherwise their was no else answer.

Reaction score
plentifully should be okay. would you guys mind to give your answer how did the senior nurse show that she was annoyed???? was it (a) She pushed the writer out to the door OR (b) she exerted great pressure....shoulder thing
I wrote the first one that she tried to push the writer out.

nd y was the surgeon mad?
because the writer was screaming inside the hospital and disturbing other patients

Reaction score
btw i think for the trivial the answer would be: she was concerned about Octavia's life/she just wanted Octavia to live ...she believe the nurses will treat her better (accpetable?)
I wrote the first one, she was too concerned for Octavia's life so she didn't think before

Reaction score
GUYS TELL ME IF I WROTE THE MEANINGS CORRECT.

(1) summoning - gathering
(2) preoccupied - Focused
(3) hardened* - Became Louder
(4) appointed - Given
(5) tedious - Annoying

*the line about hardened was something like "their voices hardened"

ok these were my answers:
1 (a) She was going to have an operation
(b) The writer felt sad to see the baby didn't need many requirement for the hospital will provide more necessary requirement
(c) (i) She stood dumbly
(ii) She got round to speaking, asking if she could see her baby.
2 (a) (i) There might be no nurse all time
(ii) She might not be fed properly
(b) She believed the hospital would treat her better
(c) This is because the danger of severity had been removed
3 (a) lethargy
(b) (i) she had endured separation from her baby for a long time
(ii) Octavia's operation might had not been successful
4 The senior nurse gave her the surgeon report in which she should have not let the writer seen it.
5 (a) the nurses thought the writer might had gone mad
(b) the nurses had the patients in possessions to take care with whereas the writer only wanted her baby with her
(c) She put her arms on her shoulders and exerted great pressure
6 The senior nurse forced the writer to leave the hospital

/20 ?
(a) Correct
(b) I am not at all sure what the answer will be for this one.
(c) i Correct
ii Wrong, The Writer did not dare ask about her daughter again.
2 (a) Correct
(b) Wrong, It was trivial because before the daughter's life was in danger or It was trivial because the writer was worried for his daughter staying alive.
(c) Danger Correct, Severity not so sure. I wrote Danger Of her daughter dying..
3 (a) Correct.
(b) Correct.
4. "This was because the nurse had given the writer the report which the writer might have understood as the nurse didn't knew whether the writer was a doctor/had medical knowledge or not."
5 (a) I wrote "Because the writer might ask about her baby again"
(b) Wrong, I wrote "The nurses had the whole staff of doctors and security behind them, while the writer was alone with only his strong will to see his baby."
(c) Correct I Guess I wrote "By pushing the writer towards the door" or something like that.
6. Wrong. "Because the writer was shouting at the top of her lung."

I don't have a photographic memory, so my answers' wording might have been different from what I wrote here.

Reaction score
I'm so ..ugh..that I wanted to post all the questions here:
1 (a) What was the baby going to have in the morning? (1)
(b) Explain fully why the writer describes the baby's requirement as 'pitifully small'? (2)
(c) Give two aspects of the writer's behaviour after the nurse told Octavia was well. (2)

2 (a) What are the two things that the writer worried about how Octavia was treated in the hospital? (2)

(b) Why do you THINK these things were trivial before? (1)
(c) Explain in your own words, why their life turned back to normal?

3 (a) The baby was said to be in state of 'inactivity'. Give a single word which continues the idea of 'inactivity'? (1)
..................................................................................................
(b) Give two reasons why was it 'imperative for the writer to see her baby?' (2)

4 Explain fully what was the 'silly risk' the senior nurse made. (2)

5 (a) Why were the nurses nervous when they asked the writer? (1)
...................................................................................................................................
(b) The writer said the nurses 'HAD THE WHOLE BUILDING' whereas she only had her 'INTENTION'. Without copying the answers in the passage, explain in your own words what does she mean by this? (2)
(c) How did the senior nurse show that she was annoyed with the writer? (1)
......................................................................................................................

6 Why do think the white surgeon was angry? (1)
7 (1) poignancy (5) vehemence
(2) copiously (6) summoning
(3) preoccupied (7) hardened
(4) appointed (8) tedious

:p
How do you remember all the questions btw? you have the question paper? can you post the passage here as well?

Reaction score
i remembered those questions very well. But not the passage..only some fragments of it

You have a photographic memory then mate :)

Well what I was looking for from the passage was the first paragraph. to get the answer for Q1 (b) the Pitifully small one.

Reaction score
You have a photographic memory then mate :)

Well what I was looking for from the passage was the first paragraph. to get the answer for Q1 (b) the Pitifully small one.
TQ ^.^ I woke up in the middle of the night anxious about my baby's, Octavia, operation as I packed his pitifully small requirement. ...and something about...I went to the hospital that the world contracted to his small face....his hands waved that this poignancy was intolerable. After a few moment, the nurse told me that my baby was well. I stood there dumbly, thinking whether she got a wrong name, wrong baby or wrong operation....blah.. I got round to speaking, asking if I could see my baby. I've tried to ask most of them until a nurse told me to see her in the next morning. So I did not ask to see her again and went out, wept copiously. (that's what I could remember only)

Reaction score
anyway the passage was from "the milestone - margaret drabble" penguin book. ( i got this from the very back page at the bottom)