• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Economics, Accounting & Business: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
yeah...until i came across (i forgot where) sth that said, "to cover the tax , foreign producers are likely to raise price of the imports. If tariffs are large enough, the price of imports may fall!")

I think it might have been quantity of imports that have decreased because tariffs can't lead to decrease in import prices.

Reaction score
*Somebody, please explain how imposing tariffs will make price of imports fall? I thought tariffs raised import price, thus discouraging people to buy foreign products. :/
*And why government may gain from inflation?
*What is the correlation between inflation and exchange rate?
**Help much appreciated!** :)
Tarrif reduces the volume/amount of imports not the prices.
Since government is the biggest borrower in the country thus it will benefit from inflation as the amount it borrows will be worth more than it pays back in real terms
If inflation increases this means prices are increasing, when prices will increase, demand for the goods of services of that country will fall which will lead to a fall in it's exchange rate i.e depreciation and vice versa.

Reaction score
omg. thanks! can you explain the government and inflation more?
Since government is the biggest borrower in the country thus it will benefit from inflation as the amount it borrows will be worth more than it pays back in real terms
If inflation increases this means prices are increasing, when prices will increase, demand for the goods of services of that country will fall which will lead to a fall in it's exchange rate i.e depreciation and vice versa.

Reaction score
omg. thanks! can you explain the government and inflation more?
Government is the largest borrower in a country. As inflation proceeds, the real value of money falls, that is it will buy less and less goods and services. So when government borrows money, and it has to repay back in a period of inflation, the money it borrowed was more (in real terms) than what it is repaying back.
Example: Government borrows money $150,000 and purchases 5 hospital buildings. Inflation increases and now government has to pay back the debt. Those 150,000 dollars will now be only able to purchase 3 hospital buildings as real value of money has reduced. That is why the borrower gains at the expense of the lender.
I hope it's clear now...I tried to explain as best I can :)

Reaction score
Government is the largest borrower in a country. As inflation proceeds, the real value of money falls, that is it will buy less and less goods and services. So when government borrows money, and it has to repay back in a period of inflation, the money it borrowed was more (in real terms) than what it is repaying back.
Example: Government borrows money $150,000 and purchases 5 hospital buildings. Inflation increases and now government has to pay back the debt. Those 150,000 dollars will now be only able to purchase 3 hospital buildings as real value of money has reduced. That is why the borrower gains at the expense of the lender.
yes! You've explained it perfectly! THANKS! :D

Reaction score
Can anyone help with these questions? I know the answers I need explanations.

Attachments

• IMG_5916.JPG
    IMG_5916.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5917.JPG
    IMG_5917.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5918.JPG
    IMG_5918.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 5
Reaction score
woah nice explanation

Reaction score
its the quota that reduces the volume and not the tariff right! tariff is just another type of tax and it will increase the price of imports!

Reaction score
for inflation....how does govt expenditure affect it? like increase or decrease in govt expenditure...can someone explain? thx
If you are referring to fiscal policy that is using govt expenditure and taxation, then it will influence inflation by influencing the level of demand in the economy.
Contractionary fiscal policy will reduce AD and thus help reduce level of inflation
Expansionary policy will increase AD and boots prices, increasing the level of inflation.