• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Just solved Physics P6

Reaction score
Exactly same what i did and also same answer but mine was 3 significant figures 0.159 ,, :)
GUYS IT IS 0.1 you cant take the distance 11.9 the expansion was only 8 cm there was 3.9 cm of the bulb
so you multiply (8*1)/80 to get 0.1
you can try with any other degree but remove the 3.9 cm of the bulb
there another way that you get the difference between the two temperatures of 80 and 60 which have distances of 11.9 and 9.9 subtract them you will find that for 20 degrees gives and expansion of 2 cm then multiply 1 degree by 2 cm divided by 20 degrees getting 0.1 as a result or subtract any two other measurements in order to remove this 3.9 and you will always get a difference of 2 cm

Reaction score
GUYS IT IS 0.1 you cant take the distance 11.9 the expansion was only 8 cm there was 3.9 cm of the bulb
so you multiply (8*1)/80 to get 0.1
you can try with any other degree but remove the 3.9 cm of the bulb
there another way that you get the difference between the two temperatures of 80 and 60 which have distances of 11.9 and 9.9 subtract them you will find that for 20 degrees gives and expansion of 2 cm then multiply 1 degree by 2 cm divided by 20 degrees getting 0.1 as a result or subtract any two other measurements in order to remove this 3.9 and you will always get a difference of 2 cm

but in the question they mentioned as accurate as possible, so u have to give a number of significant figures not just 0.1, maybe it is also right idk

Reaction score
but in the question they mentioned as accurate as possible, so u have to give a number of significant figures not just 0.1, maybe it is also right idk
yah but getting a value including the bulb is not accurate you are measuring something unwanted and dont forget when you measure it you will find 0.1 so you should find a way of getting it
who knows maybe we all will be wrong or there will be a huge range of error :)

Reaction score
I measured the 120 celsius on the thermometer, from -10 to 110, and the result was 11.9 cm then I divided 11.9/120 to get 0.0992 what do you think??

Reaction score
I measured the 120 celsius on the thermometer, from -10 to 110, and the result was 11.9 cm then I divided 11.9/120 to get 0.0992 what do you think??
You did it almost the same as me but I measured from 0-80 then I got it 0.099..I found no one else did it that way as me so I'm worried

Reaction score
What if my graph wasn't a best fit line?
They were two straight lines

Reaction score
Mine Was 0.16
When Temperature Was 80C Distance Was 11.9
If It Is 1C
Then We Will Do Cross Multiply
(11.9*1)/80
You Will Get An Answer Between 0.15~0.17
Just Do The Same Procedure Several Times (Around 3) With Different Readings From The Table
And Get The Mean
And It Was 0.16
I Aint Sure Btw
But Howcome Its 0.1??
Even If You Tried To Measure It By The Ruler
Its More Than 1mm/0.1cm
!!!!!
no no u can't do this way...cuz there was even -10 on the scale...nd the distance 4 tht.....sojust take any 10 readings nd then cross multiply..........atleast thts wht i think!!!

Reaction score
Question 2 wasn't that hard, You have to take average by measuring few (I did 3) points on the thermometer, adding them and dividing them by number of measurements taken, the answer for me was 1mm or 0.1cm.
Even if your answer was wrong, if you showed the steps and it was right you'll get 2 marks for it.

You live in kuwait I guess
YUPPP !! the exam was really easy, thank God ... My exam was variant 1 :')

Reaction score
practical difficulty in this experiment.- I answered that measuring the distance from the centre of the known mass to the pivot will be difficult since the mass covers the markings on the ruler..so we dont know exactly where its centre of mass is lying.....I know that the load might slip is the most obvious answer but please tell me that whether what i wrote is correct or not.......

Reaction score
practical difficulty in this experiment.- I answered that measuring the distance from the centre of the known mass to the pivot will be difficult since the mass covers the markings on the ruler..so we dont know exactly where its centre of mass is lying.....I know that the load might slip is the most obvious answer but please tell me that whether what i wrote is correct or not.......
i wrote the same thing i think its right because there was a question about that in one of the past papers i think

Reaction score
Mine Was 0.16
When Temperature Was 80C Distance Was 11.9
If It Is 1C
Then We Will Do Cross Multiply
(11.9*1)/80
You Will Get An Answer Between 0.15~0.17
Just Do The Same Procedure Several Times (Around 3) With Different Readings From The Table
And Get The Mean
And It Was 0.16
I Aint Sure Btw
But Howcome Its 0.1??
Even If You Tried To Measure It By The Ruler
Its More Than 1mm/0.1cm
!!!!!
Ur wrong.... The measurments included the bulb of the thermometer so ur wrong it is 0.1

Reaction score
I did 61
in 2nd question
I took 5 measurements between 1 degree each
found average
answer 0.1cm

Reaction score
I did 61
in 2nd question
I took 5 measurements between 1 degree each
found average
answer 0.1cm
well i took three measurements and found the average which came around 0.99sth mm...............same thing right?