• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Maths, Addmaths and Statistics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Simply draw the graph of the original equation. Now you will see the curve has a minimum point, because the coefficient of x^2 is positive. This minimum point (turning point) if exists below x-axis, ie. in -ve y-value, reflect that part above the x-axis, taking y=o as the reference line for reflection.
This is what modulus does. It always changes the negative y-values to +ve.
yup thts th rule used in sin cos and tan curves. i could not understand what he meant.

asd

Reaction score
u do it thn i see it is either 270 clockwise or 90 anti clock wise u try it
I did like 3 times, and the result is that its clock wise.
For anti clockwise it should be:
(0 -1)
(1 0)
Try doing this one with a point (2,1) and let me know your results.

Reaction score
Simply draw the graph of the original equation. Now you will see the curve has a minimum point, because the coefficient of x^2 is positive. This minimum point (turning point) if exists below x-axis, ie. in -ve y-value, reflect that part above the x-axis, taking y=o as the reference line for reflection.
O man....thnnnnkkkkkksssssss a lot:):):)! Knew u could do it!;)
Now I got it. Hope u get an A* In Add. Maths.

Reaction score
I did like 3 times, and the result is that its clock wise.
For anti clockwise it should be:
(0 -1)
(1 0)
Try doing this one with a point (2,1) and let me know your results.
wait by 0 -1 you means (0 top right -1 bottom right and 1 top left and 0 bottom left of the matrix) then u r rite

asd

Reaction score
wait by 0 -1 you means (0 top right -1 bottom right and 1 top left and 0 bottom left of the matrix) then u r rite
Are you confused between the 'left and right' ? :D
Read your post again :)

asd

Reaction score
And yes, i meant that. And i understand what you meant to say there (the left - right thing) :D

Reaction score

haha that's exactly what i thought would be done! .. plot the graph .. reflect all the -ve points in the x-axis (y=0) to make them all positive..

Reaction score
And yes, i meant that. And i understand what you meant to say there (the left - right thing) :D
yup it ws a misunderstanding thats y i thought how could some one do it three times the same way

asd

Reaction score
Oh and if someone is confused between the 2 rotation matrices of 90* clockwise and anti clockwise:
Just remember that clockwise is:
(o 1)
(-1 0)
Write that down an the page and turn your page all the way about 180*. The matrix you will see will be for anti-clockwise.

Reaction score
See page 31 in this http://www.pearsonschoolsandfecolle...ion/Samples/SampleMaterial/Chap02 023-041.pdf
You mean the same....right?

Reaction score
Umm, yes.
For shear along x-axis it is :
(1 k)
(0 1)
And for shear along y-axis it is:
(1 0)
(k 1)
For stretch, parallel to x-axis (y-axis as invariant) it is:
(k 0)
(0 1)
And for stretch parallel to y-axis(x-axis as invariant) it is:
(1 o)
(o k)
For double stretch:
(k1 0)
(o k2)
where k1 is the stretch factor for stretch parallel to x-axis, and k2 for stretch parallel to y-axis
For rotation, i already posted the shortcut methods.
yeah these r the things I hate about transformations they r so difficult to learn :cry: Anyways thanx...

Reactions: asd