• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics paper 31 , (a death call)

Reaction score
hi. i disagree with the expansion thingy, because solids expansion isnt actually that noticeable and how can a solid expand before a liquid does? thats against the basic rules it is known that liquids expand more and faster. so i think that the answer should be evaporation caused the loss and one was bigger than the other because surface area for evaporation is too small while the surface area exposed to heat at the bottom is alot bigger. ty :D
no if u check with books and all its always said that the container expands first which gives decrease in the level of water which is negligible but as the glass tube is narrow we can note a decrease in water level....

Reaction score
hi. i disagree with the expansion thingy, because solids expansion isnt actually that noticeable and how can a solid expand before a liquid does? thats against the basic rules it is known that liquids expand more and faster. so i think that the answer should be evaporation caused the loss and one was bigger than the other because surface area for evaporation is too small while the surface area exposed to heat at the bottom is alot bigger. ty :D
Wrong.
That experiment is actually given in our book.
The reason the solid expands first is because solids conduct heat faster, so it will receive and spread the heat before it conducts to liquid. Liquid gets the heat off the glass via conduction, so the glass will expand first before the liquid expands.
Your answer actually makes no sense :|
It never told you the new temperature of the water, and it was originally at 10*C so you can't assume evaporation is answer.
I'll try find online explanation if you don't believe me.

Reaction score
no if u check with books and all its always said that the container expands first which gives decrease in the level of water which is negligible but as the glass tube is narrow we can note a decrease in water level....
and also the container absorbs the heat first and then it reaches the liquid

Reaction score
which book exactly? because if that was true then for example a thermometer will expand if it is measuring a high temperature too making it very inaccurate and it is known that solids are the worst substances that expand and gases are the best so how does a solid expand first????? and tell me why u just said it was wrote in the books explain to me why the solid expands first. ty

Reaction score
Wrong.
The reason the solid expands first is because solids conduct heat faster, so it will receive and spread the heat before it conducts to liquid. Liquid gets the heat off the glass via conduction, so the glass will expand first before the liquid expands.
It never told you the new temperature of the water, and it was originally at 10*C so you can't assume evaporation is answer.
can u explain me why the voltage across x and y is not 6v?

Reaction score
Wrong.
bro evaporation happens at any temperature.

Reaction score
can u explain me why the voltage across x and y is not 6v?
Because of the other resistor
The two resistor's in parallel have an effective resistance of 1.2 ohms. However it's not the only resistor, it's as if you have a 1.2 ohm resistor and the resistor R in series. The voltage is split between those two resistors.

Reaction score
which book exactly? because if that was true then for example a thermometer will expand if it is measuring a high temperature too making it very inaccurate and it is known that solids are the worst substances that expand and gases are the best so how does a solid expand first????? and tell me why u just said it was wrote in the books explain to me why the solid expands first. ty
book says solid expands less but it does expand and we don't put the whole thermometer in the water we only put the bulb of the thermometer;)

Reaction score
Because of the other resistor
The two resistor's in parallel have an effective resistance of 1.2 ohms. However it's not the only resistor, it's as if you have a 1.2 ohm resistor and the resistor R in series. The voltage is split between those two resistors.
my final answer was 2.3ohms, wat was urs?

Reaction score
I really, really, REALLY don't care what you think. Yes evaporation occurs at any temperature but it will not occur fast enough to see a sudden lowering of height!
actually the expansion process of solids is very very hard to notice and alot slower than evaporation when the expansion is in solids.

Reaction score
u know .. i think everyone should stop thinking about what happened today..
and should concentrate on phy p6 and chem p3 .. :ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
Wrong.
conduction is only fast in metals, it was glass. ur answers prove that u know nothing about physics u just memorize

Reaction score
guys which force was greater F1 or F2?? :/and hw much was the force and the area given in the question?? :/

Reaction score
it was a hard paper, i got very nervous that i did the most stupid things, like i deleted right answers and wrote wrong ones. Anyway im hoping the curve be very low

Reaction score
Arent u people getting too sentimental over yuor answers? LOL! Forget it guys..Guess what I screwed up p3 and p1 but i am still not upset cox I know the GT is gonna be low :D Learn to learn from your mistakes :p