• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
PlanetMaster can u pls explain this uestion? thankyou!
Hey redox233, I am not sure if you still need help on this, but let me explain this to you:-

[imath]\rightarrow[/imath] This is a classic problem of standing waves.
[imath]\rightarrow[/imath] Given that the lowest sound produced is [imath]92[/imath] Hz, such as a node at the mouthpiece and an antinode at the other open end.

Hence, this is what we have,

lowest sound.png

We know that distance between a node and an antinode is [imath]\lambda/4[/imath].

[imath]\therefore \lambda/4[/imath] corresponds to [imath]92 \space \mathrm{Hz}[/imath].

The next arrangement of the standing wave to produce another frequency is as follows,

next freq arrangement.png

Here, we have [imath]\lambda/2 + \lambda/4 = 3\lambda/4[/imath]

[imath]\therefore 3\lambda/4[/imath] corresponds to [imath]3 \times \lambda/4 = 3 \times 92 =[/imath] [imath]276 \space \mathrm{Hz}[/imath]

Here is the next arrangement and you can follow this idea to get the overall correct answer to this question,

next arrangement.png

Here, we have [imath]\lambda + \lambda/4 = 5\lambda/4[/imath]

[imath]\therefore 5\lambda/4[/imath] corresponds to [imath]5 \times \lambda/4 = 5 \times 92 =[/imath] [imath]460 \space \mathrm{Hz}[/imath]

[imath]\rarr[/imath] If you simply look at all the options now in the question, we can clearly see that C seems to be the correct option.
[imath]\rarr[/imath] However, feel free to visualize the next arrangement and its corresponding frequency and match it with option C.

I hope this helps.
Good luck!

Reaction score
No worries pal. For both waves, we can take the points they intersect 0 displacement in the same direction.

Like this:View attachment 70545

Hey PlanetMaster,

What software do you use to create such graphs that go with the background of the XPC theme? 🤔
Also, it would be great if you could provide a Math editor in the options so that we don't have to externally use LaTeX to write Mathematical equations here.

Thank you! ^_^

Reaction score
a child of mass 35 kg movies down a sloping path on a skate board. the sloping path makes an angle 45 degree with the horizontal. the constant speed of the child along the path is 6.5 m/s. Calculate:
a) vertical dist through which child moves in 1.0s (done)
b) the rate at which potential energy is being lost (g=9.81 m/s^2) (confusion)

How is the answer to b) 80 J/s??

All I did was P = (35x9.81x0.51)/1 which gives answer 175 J/s (or 175 W)

badrobot14

XPRS Administrator
Reaction score
a child of mass 35 kg movies down a sloping path on a skate board. the sloping path makes an angle 45 degree with the horizontal. the constant speed of the child along the path is 6.5 m/s. Calculate:
a) vertical dist through which child moves in 1.0s (done)
b) the rate at which potential energy is being lost (g=9.81 m/s^2) (confusion)

How is the answer to b) 80 J/s??

All I did was P = (35x9.81x0.51)/1 which gives answer 175 J/s (or 175 W)
A)
vertical distance moved: sin(45)=6.5/dist
dist = 0.7071*6.5
dist = 4.596

B)
rate at which potential energy is lost is just the energy change in one sec (i.e. vertical dist change in part A)
p.e = mgh = 35*9.81*4.596
p.e. = 1578 J/s

Reaction score
Hey everyone, if a person gets a wrong trend in the values in P3 physics Q.1. What is the procedure of marking for them.

Reaction score
Can I still fail if I pass? I must know, very important, what if I fail after I pass?? But I passed when I failed??!!? Tell me NOOOOOW, I am passing with fail on my exam tomorrow?