• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

What are you taking in AS/A-Level?

Reaction score
Advanced International Certificate of Education Diploma.

Every US medical university requires 2 years of high school mathematics and 2 years of college level mathematics, including pre-calculus, calculus, etc.
Almost every UK and Australian university requires Maths till AS-level, even the medical universities. You just can't give up Maths after IGCSEs.
no i researched for cambrige university and other universities of london and they say dat they need atleast 4 subjects , maths isnt compulsory in a levels bt u need it till igcse . thx shows rankng and subjects required by each university of london
http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=medicine

Reaction score
no i researched for cambrige university and other universities of london and they say dat they need atleast 4 subjects , maths isnt compulsory in a levels bt u need it till igcse . thx shows rankng and subjects required by each university of london
http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=medicine
Yeah, but that's if you take Physics at A-levels. And every A-level student going to Cambridge has maths till AS.
http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/medicine/

Reaction score
Easy money and engineering? Nah my dad is an engineer :/

I suggest them dentistry; Billionaires :D
Woah, no offense. But as compared to medicals, in 6 years you can finish both graduation and post graduation in engineering, unlike medical's more common 5-6 years undergrad. Anyway, I really hate differentiating the job field into 2: medical and engineering.
Yup, but Dentistry's really boring :p

Are the following subjects good for most engineering fields:
1)Physics
2)Chemistry
3)Maths
4)Further Maths
5)Thinking Skills or World History
Also which subject should I take from the 5th option?
They're fine, but I already told you to take only one Maths subject. Honestly, you're going to faint if you take both -_-
Thinking Skills would be more logical, but most universities don't really consider that as a subject..

Reaction score
Woah, no offense. But as compared to medicals, in 6 years you can finish both graduation and post graduation in engineering, unlike medical's more common 5-6 years undergrad. Anyway, I really hate differentiating the job field into 2: medical and engineering.
Yup, but Dentistry's really boring :p

They're fine, but I already told you to take only one Maths subject. Honestly, you're going to faint if you take both -_-
Thinking Skills would be more logical, but most universities don't really consider that as a subject..

You mean it's ok if we take Further Maths only? Woah.

Reaction score
Yes. Maths only at first, see if its easy for you, then take further maths. Doing two at once is completely unnecessary.

I am doing something different tbh. I'll study A Level Maths in summer (to allow myself some breathing room at the start) and take both Maths and Further Maths at the start. But if Further Maths looks way to difficult - I'll drop it.

Reaction score
With all considerations though if you're going to take Further Math, you need to have completed Maths A Level during your first year, if you want to complete your entire A Level course in two years. I've a friend who's doing his 3rd year of A Level plainly because he needed an extra year to complete Further Math. Most universities in the UK require you to take both Further Math and Math if a prerequisite for your preferred course is Further Math. You simply can't drop Math to take Further Math.

Reaction score
With all considerations though if you're going to take Further Math, you need to have completed Maths A Level during your first year, if you want to complete your entire A Level course in two years. I've a friend who's doing his 3rd year of A Level plainly because he needed an extra year to complete Further Math. Most universities in the UK require you to take both Further Math and Math if a prerequisite for your preferred course is Further Math. You simply can't drop Math to take Further Math.
Really? I know a person who only took Further Maths and he's fine, got admission chances at some great universities. Which place are you talking about in general?

Reaction score
Can someone give me some tips about English Language, Psychology, Thinking Skills, World History and General Paper? I kind of like History, my English Language is good while my General Knowledge is pretty awful (I never really grasped Geography). If you don't like Geography or EM, is General Paper something like it? Which of these is easy (in difficulty order) and requires less time/less to read. How many can I reasonably take as extra subjects?

Also, if you haven't studied Add Maths - can you excel in Further Maths? (It's not a question of me not being good in Add Maths, my school gave me an option of ICT or Add Maths, I chose ICT. My Maths is pretty good).

Reaction score
Can someone give me some tips about English Language, Psychology, Thinking Skills, World History and General Paper? I kind of like History, my English Language is good while my General Knowledge is pretty awful (I never really grasped Geography). If you don't like Geography or EM, is General Paper something like it? Which of these is easy (in difficulty order) and requires less time/less to read. How many can I reasonably take as extra subjects?

Also, if you haven't studied Add Maths - can you excel in Further Maths? (It's not a question of me not being good in Add Maths, my school gave me an option of ICT or Add Maths, I chose ICT. My Maths is pretty good).

General Paper is very inter-disciplinary (sort of science, economics and EM combined). You only have to study little for it, but your concepts have to be very clear and you must be able to write a lot. A lot of it is actually case study based. Which General Paper are you taking?
You can excel in F.Maths, but how good are you in Maths? Find out by first doing AS Maths, by yourself, or under the supervision of a teacher. In an AS Maths exam, if you get a high B or above, you can take F.Maths and practice it until you excel in it. Much of the syllabus in F.Maths is actually based on the assumption of your knowledge on AS/A Maths (9709). Also, you are not given the option of choosing between Mechanics or Statistics in F.Maths, you have to study both (M1, M2, S1 and S2) as well as Pure Maths( P1 and P3), which is much like the option of taking S1 and M1 in AS/A-level Maths along with P1 and P3.
So choose wisely.

Reaction score
Really? I know a person who only took Further Maths and he's fine, got admission chances at some great universities. Which place are you talking about in general?

General Paper is very inter-disciplinary (sort of science, economics and EM combined). You only have to study little for it, but your concepts have to be very clear and you must be able to write a lot. A lot of it is actually case study based. Which General Paper are you taking?
You can excel in F.Maths, but how good are you in Maths? Find out by first doing AS Maths, by yourself, or under the supervision of a teacher. In an AS Maths exam, if you get a high B or above, you can take F.Maths and practice it until you excel in it. Much of the syllabus in F.Maths is actually based on the assumption of your knowledge on AS/A Maths (9709). Also, you are not given the option of choosing between Mechanics or Statistics in F.Maths, you have to study both (M1, M2, S1 and S2) as well as Pure Maths( P1 and P3), which is much like the option of taking S1 and M1 in AS/A-level Maths along with P1 and P3.
So choose wisely.

That's actually what I meant. I don't think you'll be allowed to take Further Math if you haven't proven prowess in A Level Mathematics. Because as you said you need to have completed Pure Math as well as the Statistics and Mechanics modules. Further Math is a subject that you can take once it is guaranteed that you get a very high grade in A Level Math. The guy you're talking about must have proven competence to his teachers by initially performing very well in maybe mock exams or so. As for the subjects I'm talking about, Physics - based courses for example. According to the University of Cambridge, for Engineering it is essential you have A Level Mathematics and Physics. And highly desirable would be a third Math subject (Further Math). If your school doesn't offer Further Math, a third science subject may suffice.

Reaction score
That's actually what I meant. I don't think you'll be allowed to take Further Math if you haven't proven prowess in A Level Mathematics. Because as you said you need to have completed Pure Math as well as the Statistics and Mechanics modules. Further Math is a subject that you can take once it is guaranteed that you get a very high grade in A Level Math. The guy you're talking about must have proven competence to his teachers by initially performing very well in maybe mock exams or so. As for the subjects I'm talking about, Physics - based courses for example. According to the University of Cambridge, for Engineering it is essential you have A Level Mathematics and Physics. And highly desirable would be a third Math subject (Further Math). If your school doesn't offer Further Math, a third science subject may suffice.

Actually, from what I read, in the Highly desirable A Level/IB Higher Level in a third mathematics/science/technology subject is suggested, and F.Maths is strongly encouraged, or alternatively all the Mechanics modules in Mathematics.
You're right!