• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Mathematics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
abcde said:
Silent Hunter said:
thank GOD..........ALHAMDULILAH i got some knowledge about permutations nd combinations.............but one things teasing me what to do when they ask that e.g. tell the arrangements when 5 girls are not together given there are 5 girls and 6 boys ? :unknown: :unknown:

You first find out the number of permutations when 5 girls are together and then subtract it from the total number of permutations.

That's one way. But i find it easier to do it this way:

You do 13 dashes. _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Now the guys can not be next to each other in order for girls to be apart. So....you fill in 6 of those dashes (non consecutive) with 6 'B' s.
'
Then the number of ways the boys can be arranged in those dashes is 6!.

The number of ways girls can placed in between those gaps between boys is 7 x 6 x 5 x 4 x 3. or 7P3.

The way i learnt it was using this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxxrR2oa ... r_embedded

Hope i hlped.

Reaction score
nikhil000 said:
HEy in need an urgent help .. P6-May-june 2008 last question..Plz Plz help me out !
(i) 1-0.75=0.25
P(any numbber other than 5)=0.25/5=0.05
P(1,5,even)=0.05*0.75*(0.05+0.05+0.05)
=0.05*0.75*0.15
=0.00563

(ii) P(5)=0.75
A binomial model can be used since probability of success is constant.
X-B(10,0.75)
P(X>/=8) = P(X=8)+P(X=9)+P(X=10)
= 10C8(0.75^8)(0.25^2)+10C9(0.75^9)(0.25)+(0.75^10)
= 0.526

(iii) Since n is large, a normal approx can be used.
X-B(n,p)
X-B(90,0.75)
X-N(np,npq)
X-N(67.5,16.875)

Applying c.c
P(X>60.5)=P(X>(60.5-67.5)/root16.875)
=P(X>-1.704)

= phi (1.704)

=0.9558

=0.956

Reaction score
qp 62 will be probability of getting geese...
first you must arrange like d,d,d,d is all duck which obtain 0 geese
second is the obtaining 1 geese, d,d,d,g & d,d,g,d & d,g,d,d & g,d,d,d... there 4 prob of getting 1 geese.... soyou will do this (5/7 *4/6*3/5*2/4) * 4
then proceed with obtaining 2 geese there 6 probability... so you will get 2/7

key:
* is times

8)

Reaction score
just wanna ask a newbie question... how do you reply to someone in this forumm?? like box to box message. hah

Reaction score
panda222 said:
abcde said:
Silent Hunter said:
thank GOD..........ALHAMDULILAH i got some knowledge about permutations nd combinations.............but one things teasing me what to do when they ask that e.g. tell the arrangements when 5 girls are not together given there are 5 girls and 6 boys ? :unknown: :unknown:

You first find out the number of permutations when 5 girls are together and then subtract it from the total number of permutations.

That's one way. But i find it easier to do it this way:

You do 13 dashes. _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Now the guys can not be next to each other in order for girls to be apart. So....you fill in 6 of those dashes (non consecutive) with 6 'B' s.
'
Then the number of ways the boys can be arranged in those dashes is 6!.

The number of ways girls can placed in between those gaps between boys is 7 x 6 x 5 x 4 x 3. or 7P3.

The way i learnt it was using this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxxrR2oa ... r_embedded

Hope i hlped.

why 13 dashes?

Reaction score
what would be p(A intersection B, if PA and PB are given...I just need to know ..Plz help me out.

Reaction score
nikhil000 said:
what would be p(A intersection B, if PA and PB are given...I just need to know ..Plz help me out.
p (A intersection B) = p(A) + p(B) - p(A union B)

Reaction score
If you know the elements of A and B, you can easily figure out the union. If that's not the case, please give an example of where your problem applies.

Reaction score
Hey guys , I can solve the permutation and combination problem pretty well but at the end i always get confused whether to multiply it or add it...Plz somebody help me out with it.

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
Remember, making one particular combination...multiply them...and all the diff. combinations you got,add them!!

Reaction score
PLEASE REPLY TO THIS QUESTION SOON........BY TODAY

1-BY DIFFERENTIATING COS X / SIN X SHOW THAT IF Y= COT X THEN DY / DX = -COSEC SQAURE X.
2- BY EXPRESSING COT SQUARE X IN TERMS OF COSEC SQUARE X AND USING THE RESULT IN PART 1 SHOW THAT

INTEGRATION UPPER LIMIT 0.5 PIE AND LOWER LIMIT 0.25 PIE COT X DX= 1 - 0.25PIE

PLEASE TELL ME ASAP :)

Reaction score
in statistics NORMAL DISTRIBUTION FORMULA (X-mu)/sigma... u hav 2 add or subtract 0.5 to the value of X depending on the sign rite ??... but in some paper mark schemes.. they dnt do it and in some they do add or subtract 0.5 to X... how can u b sure of wen 2 do this.. its really important cuz ading or subtracting 0.5 changes the whole probalbility and the answer becomz wrong.... !!!